Idioms (thành ngữ) trong tiếng Anh không chỉ giúp bạn giao tiếp lưu loát, tự nhiên mà còn là yếu tố quan trọng cần thiết giúp bạn đạt điểm 7.0+ trong bài thi IELTS . Cùng bỏ túi những Idioms hữu dụng này để luyện thi nhé !
* It’s as easy as pie = it’s a piece of cake: to be very easy, (not complicated).
I don’t think it’s as easy as pie to get band 8.5 in the IELTS speaking test.
It’s a piece of cake to drive this car.
* Cost an arm and a leg: to be very expensive.
The movie is interesting, but the tickets cost an arm and a leg .
The car cost him an arm and a leg .
* Pay through the nose: to pay too much for something.
I usually have to pay through the nose for parking a car if I bring it into the city.
He paid through the nose to get the car fixed.
* Make someone blue = bump someone out : to make someone sad or sick.
It made him blue to have to stay home with his wife all day.
He made his girlfriend blue yesterday.
* Freak out : to become very angry or lose control of your mind because of somebody or something.
I freaked out when I saw her with another man.
Snakes really freaked me out .
* In the nick of time : just before it’s too late/ at the last possible moment.
We got to the airport just in the nick of time .
I arrived at the train station in the nick of time .
She finished her English essay just in the nick of time .
* It’s raining cats and dogs: it’s raining a lot/ it is raining heavily.
It’s windy and is raining cats and dogs .
It was raining cats and dogs , so all flights were delayed.
* (Like) two peas in a pod : very similar, especially in appearance.
Peter and his brother are like two peas in a pod .
The twins are like two peas in a pod .
* (As) sly as a fox : someone who is clever, cunning, wily, and tricky.
Many people don’t like him because he is sly as a fox .
My boss is as sly as a fox .
* Poke around : look around a place, typically in search of something (you can poke around on the internet, you can poke around on the streets, etc. to look for/search for something).
Just poke around the Internet, you’ll find a lot of dating websites.
He poked around in his desk to see if the wallet was there.
* Mean business: to be very, very serious.
I thought he was joking at first, but then I saw that he really meant business
Just looking at him, I knew he meant business .
* Hit the hay = hit the sack : to go to bed.
I’m pretty tired. I think it’s time for me to hit the hay .
I’m going to hit the sack early since I’ve got to get up early tomorrow.
* Sleep like a baby: to sleep very well; to sleep deeply.
After a long, hard day at work, I slept like a baby last night.
He was very tired, so he went to bed, and slept like a baby .
* Once in a blue moon: very rarely/very seldom/almost never.
My son lives in Canada and he only comes to see us once in a blue moon .
My family used to live in Tokyo, but now we only go there once in a blue moon .
* Ace a test: to do very well in a test/ to get a very high score on a test.
You need to study hard to ace a test .
She had actually aced a test in Math, a subject that had never come easily for her.
* Ring a bell: to sound familiar.
The name Lucy doesn’t ring a bell .
I’ve never met Sarah, but her name rings a bell .
* Green with envy: to be jealous/ to be envious.
Tom was green with envy when he saw that I got a new car for my birthday.
My expensive house makes him green with envy .
* Drive someone crazy: to make him or her upset or annoyed.
Tom quit his job because his boss drove him crazy every time he went to work.
The constant noise drove me crazy .
* The cat that ate the canary: to look very happy/ very pleased.
He was smiling like the cat that ate the canary .
You look like the cat that ate the canary .
MES – Đối tác chính thức của British Council & IDP – Địa điểm đào tạo và đăng kí thi IELTS tại Hải Phòng
Website: Megamind English School
CS1: Tầng 8 Tòa nhà LP, 98-100 Tô Hiệu, Lê Chân, HP ( Hotline: 09188.8.131.52)
CS2: 47/258 Đà Nẵng, Ngô Quyền, HP ( Hotline: 09184.108.40.206)
Bài viết liên quan
Những cách diễn đạt khác của “BẬN RỘN”
Những cách diễn đạt khác của “BẬN RỘN” Để nâng band điểm IELTS thì việc [...]
NHỮNG TỪ GẦN GIỐNG NHAU NHƯNG MANG NGHĨA KHÁC HOÀN TOÀN
Trong quá trình học từ vựng tiếng Anh, chắc hẳn các bạn đã từng bị [...]
NHỮNG THÀNH NGỮ TIẾNG ANH QUEN THUỘC
Trong tiếng anh cũng có những câu thành ngữ có ý nghĩa giống với những [...]
[DAILY READING] ÁP LỰC THI CỬ Ở HỌC SINH
Cùng Daily Reading With MES duy trì thói quen đọc tiếng Anh – một việc [...]
IDIOMS THỂ HIỆN SỰ HẠNH PHÚC
Nhân 1 ngày nắng đẹp, các bạn hãy cùng MES học thêm 1 vài idioms [...]
MUỐN Ý KIẾN MÀ CHÁN “IN MY OPINION” THÌ PHẢI LÀM SAO???
In my opinion… là cấu trúc cực quen thuộc mà ai học IELTS cũng sử [...]